[Hac-announce] Preliminaries on Jerry A. Coyne

Thomas Platt tplatt13 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 08:39:12 EDT 2011

I am reviewing "Why Evolution is True" by Jerry A. Coyne for possible
selection by our humanist book reading group.  The author appears to
have excellent "creds" as can be seen from the Google list at
http://tinyurl.com/6kalzfl
In particular, you might want to look at his bio at the Wikipedia site.

The author is clearly a hard core atheist who feels that religion and
science are incompatible and 'that scientists who hold religious
views are only reflective of the idea "that people can hold two
conflicting notions in their heads at the same time" '

As a low level "dinosaur docent" who teaches early grade school
classes at the Peabody museum, my approach is necessarily quite
different:  I teach what scientists think about fossils  and
ordinarily avoid getting into religion except occasionally, if the
issue should come up, to point out that scientists avoid getting into
the motives of God when they do their science, ie. they interpret
nature in natural terms.

I look forward with interest in checking out this book.

	Tom Platt