[Hac-announce] Hope

Thomas Platt tplatt13 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 09:12:11 EDT 2011

This is what I have just sent to my Milford High School class of 1957:

At this Easter season, here is a different message of hope.  No doubt
many of you have heard of the breaking scandal surrounding Greg
Mortenson of "Three Cups of Tea".  Here is Nicholas Kristof's op-ed:

http://tinyurl.com/3dsmpey

excerpt:

I also believe that Greg was profoundly right about some big things.
He was right about the need for American outreach in the Muslim
world. He was right that building schools tends to promote stability
more than dropping bombs. He was right about the transformative power
of education, especially girls’ education. He was right about the
need to listen to local people — yes, over cup after cup after cup of
tea — rather than just issue instructions.

I worry that scandals like this — or like the disputes about
microfinance in India and Bangladesh — will leave Americans
disillusioned and cynical. And it’s true that in their struggle to
raise money, aid groups sometimes oversell how easy it is to get
results. Helping people is more difficult than it seems, and no group
of people bicker among themselves more viciously than humanitarians.