[Hac-announce] Memorial service for Frank DeToro today at 11 am

David E Schafer deschafer at comcast.net
Sat Sep 11 08:38:07 EDT 2010

With sadness I report that a memorial service for our dear Humanist friend Frank DeToro will be held at the Unitarian Society of New Haven TODAY at 11:00 am.  According to his obituary in the New Haven Register, Frank "died peacefully on Sunday, August 29, 2010, at CT Hospice, Branford, surrounded by his children.  He was 88 years old..."  For more details of his life please see:
http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2010/09/11/obituaries/doc4c8ae94f22b24565681921.txt

Many of you who have been members of the Humanist Association of Connecticut for more than a decade will remember Frank fondly as a stalwart of this organization during its early years.  He was quite intelligent and well educated, and always a good, quiet listener and an excellent speaker.  I particularly recall a memorable talk he gave us that was essentially a history of the universe from the point of view of an atheist.

For most of the past ten years he has lived in the warmer climate of one of the southeastern states--I forget which one.  Last year he returned to Hamden, to be with his family.

I am sorry that I am so late in reporting these facts to you.  I learned about his death just a few days ago, and did not fully realize that his memorial service was to be held so soon until just yesterday.  I hope many of you who were his friends will be able to attend.

David Schafer