[Hac-announce] Upcoming Events - Humanist Association of Connecticut

Richard Siddall richard.siddall at elirion.net
Fri Jul 2 18:37:45 EDT 2010

Hello everyone,

(You're receiving this email because you subscribed to the announcements
list operated by the Humanist Association of Connecticut.  See
http://www.cthumanist.org/lists.html)

On Saturday, July 3rd, our Humanist Conversations talk will start with a
section on the mechanisms of belief by Michael Shermer, the publisher of
Skeptic Magazine.  Join us at 2:30 PM in the library at USNH, 700
Hartford Turnpike, Hamden, to find out how this relates to Independence Day.

On Sunday, July 4th, Brian Ditter and Tara McLaughlin have invited us to
a barbecue and picnic at Crystal Lake Park, 100 Livingston Rd,
Middletown.  Please RSVP by phone: Brian Ditter: (860) 262-1291, (860)
704-0439 or Tara McLaughlin: (860) 545-5065.  Please bring a dish to share.

Our New Haven area social dinner will be held at on Monday, July 5th at
the Equinox Diner, 285 Boston Post Rd, Orange.  Please call the
restaurant at (203) 298-4100 for directions.  We'll meet in the
restaurant at 7:00 PM.  If you're planning to attend, please RSVP to
Carol Stone via Meetup (http://www.meetup.com/cthumanist/), or by email
to editor at cthumanist.org, or by phone at (203) 264-8546.  RSVPs help us
tell the restaurant how large a table to prepare for our party.  If you
haven't RSVP'd but can still attend, please do so.

We'd previously announced a showing of the Ken Burns PBS documentary
"Mark Twain" for Saturday, July 10th.  Due to other events at USNH which
prevents us from getting a reasonably sized room, we have decided to
postpone the showing to a later, as yet undecided, date.

Our fourth session on The Historicity of Jesus and Early Christianity
will be held at USNH, 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden, from 2:00 to 5:00
PM on Saturday, July 17th.  David Schafer will pick up from where we
left off in the last session, and guide us through the events following
the emergence of the four gospels.

Our monthly meeting at USNH, 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden, on Monday,
July 19th will feature another talk by P.J. Deak, this time on a
defrocked Universalist-Minister-turned-"atheist"-lecturer named Abner
Kneeland.  We'll start with half an hour of coffee and conversation at
7:30 PM.  P.J's talk will follow brief announcements at 8:00 PM.

Our board and standing committee meetings will be held at 2:30 PM on
Sunday, July 26th at USNH, 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden.

Our Hartford-area social dinner will be held at Michel Angelo’s
Pizzeria, 825 Cromwell Ave., Rocky Hill, on Thursday, July 29th.  We'll
meet in the restaurant at 7:00 PM.  (Please RSVP to Carol Stone using
the details above.)

Our next book discussion will be held on Sunday, August 1 at 3:00 PM at
USNH, 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden.

Directions to most locations of our meetings are on the web site at
http://www.cthumanist.org/directions.html

Regards,

         Richard Siddall
         webmaster at cthumanist.org