[Hac-announce] The "Identity Museum", an interesting take.

Thomas Platt tplatt13 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 10:31:58 EST 2010

See http://tinyurl.com/3xsppeg - Tom Platt

December 28, 2010, NY Times
To Each His Own Museum, as Identity Goes on Display, by EDWARD ROTHSTEIN
Me! Me! Me! That is the cry, now often heard, as history is retold.
Tell my story, in my way! Give me the attention I deserve! Haven’t
you neglected me, blinded by your own perspectives? Now let history
be told not by the victors but by people over whom it has trampled.

And why, after all, should it be any different? Isn’t that the cry
made by most of us? We want to be acknowledged, given credit for our
unique experiences. We want to tell our stories. We want to convert
you from your own narrow views to our more capacious perspective.

I am exaggerating slightly — but only slightly. In recent years, I
have been chronicling the evolution of the “identity museum” or
“identity exhibition,” designed to affirm a particular group’s
claims, outline its accomplishments, boost its pride and proclaim,
“We must tell our own story!”

These cries have been made with varying degrees of urgency and
justice. But in the last few weeks, with the opening of a highly
tendentious exhibition about Muslim science at the New York Hall of
Science in Queens and the unveiling of a highly ineffectual mishmash
at the President’s House in Philadelphia, the identity exhibition has
reached new lows.

In both cases, there is an accusation of injustice and an attempt to
revise history. In the science show, the charge is muted and
persistent, but the case is made only by distorting history and
facts. At the Philadelphia site, many of the claims are fierce — and
some just — but they too end up distorting history by demanding the
sacrifice of other perspectives.

Of course, every recounting of past events has exaggerations and
limitations. Even the great imperial museums of Vienna, London and
Paris make an argument: they are meant to reflect the power and
grandeur of their creators. Such museums are monuments, temples
mythically recounting an empire’s origins, displaying its
accomplishments, affirming its power and its encyclopedic grasp.

The placement of totem poles in classic museums of natural history,
for example, is a consequence of 19th-century convictions, also
imperial, that they were created by peoples who were closer to the
natural world — part of natural history rather than the history of
civilization.

To a certain extent, the identity museum is a polemical response to
such museums. And revenge can be extreme. The National Museum of the
American Indian in Washington — a pioneering example of the genre —
jettisons Western scholarship and tells its own story, leading one
tribe to solemnly describe its earliest historical milestone: “Birds
teach people to call for rain.”

Through a gauze of romance, that museum portrays an impossibly peace-
loving, harmonious, homogeneous, pastoral world that preceded the
invasion of white people — a vision with far less detail and insight
than the old natural history museums once provided.

Sometimes, though, the identity impulse is illuminating, as in the
Nordic Heritage Museumin Seattle, which gives a Scandinavian angle to
the settling of the Pacific Northwest. Sometimes it involves an
unusual twist: the new National Museum of American Jewish History in
Philadelphia shapes an identity that emphasizes not its distinctions
from the American mainstream, but its connections to it: identity is
characterized as assimilative.

Then there are the two most recent examples. The President’s House
site is where the nation’s executive mansion stood from 1790 to 1800.
And a display there could have provided some unusual insight into the
American past, because not only did George Washington, as he shaped
the institution of the presidency, sleep there, so did nine of his
slaves. On Independence Mall in Philadelphia, which is devoted to
ideas of American liberty, it would have made sense for this site to
explore the conjunction of these two incompatible ideas — slavery and
liberty — particularly as both were knit into the nation’s founding.

Instead, during eight years of controversy, protests and
confrontations, the project (costing nearly $12 million) was turned
into something else. Black advocacy groups pressed the National Park
Service and the city to create an exhibition that focused on
enslavement. Rosalyn McPherson, the site’s project manager,
emphasized in an interview that the goal was to give voice to the
enslaved. Community meetings stressed that slaves had to be portrayed
as having “agency” and “dignity.” A memorial to all slaves was
erected, inscribed with a roster of African tribes from which they
were taken — a list that has no clear connection to either the site
or the city.

The result is more than a little strange. One black advocacy group’s
leader, Michael Coard, who was placed on the site’s oversight
committee, wrote an angry, influential essay on the Web site of his
organization, Avenging the Ancestors Coalition, that was just in its
analysis of historical neglect, but distorting in its all-consuming
strategy. It would allow no differentiation and qualification,
treating the site almost as if it were the Slave Market of Charleston.

Even in the context of 18th-century slavery, though, this house (long
demolished) must have been unusual: its internal structure may have
teetered with the nation’s own paradoxes, resisting easy
characterization. There is no conclusive evidence, for example, that
it held “slave quarters.” In a city with more free blacks than
slaves, the house sheltered more indentured and paid servants than
slaves; accounts suggest that sleeping quarters may have mixed both
race and status. John Adams, who also lived in this mansion, didn’t
even own slaves.

Moreover, the scanty historical background presented in the
exhibition’s annotated illustrations is almost mischievously
diminishing. During the 10 years in which Philadelphia was the
national capital and Washington and Adams were shaping the new
country there, what we see of the “upstairs” world is this: unrest
(riots opposing Adams’s policy regarding France), protest (against
the Jay Treaty), fear (a yellow-fever epidemic) and hypocrisy
(Washington is shown with a disdainful look as he awards a medal to a
proud Seneca Indian leader). And the architecture of the site makes
it seem as though we are standing in an open-air ruin.

The result: an important desire to reveal what was once hidden ends
up pulling down nearly everything else, leaving a landscape as
starkly unreal as the one in which Washington could never tell a lie.
It is not really a reinterpretation of history; it overturns the idea
of history, making it subservient to the claims of contemporary
identity politics.

This approach is even more sweeping in the exhibition about Muslim
science, “1001 Inventions,” at the Hall of Science. It claims to show
how a millennium-long Golden Age of Islamic science lasting into the
17th century anticipated the great inventions and discoveries of the
Western world.

And indeed, before the 13th century, there was an extraordinary
confluence of genius and innovation, particularly around Baghdad. But
almost everything here is exaggerated. The actual period of invention
is less than half of that suggested. Many achievements, said to match
or anticipate ones that followed in the West, are best seen as
important predecessors. Some assertions, based on slim evidence, are
almost literally imaginary. And accusations and implications of
neglect of Muslim enterprise ignore extensive citations in
Renaissance manuscripts and later Western histories.

The exhibition also pays minimal attention to the very element that
made Baghdad so important before its destruction in 1258: the
cosmopolitan impact of interacting cultures. Influences are casually
mentioned when they should be sharing center stage. Persian pre-
Islamic breakthroughs, the confluence of innovations from China and
India, the heritage of Christian scholarship from Syria, the
importance of Byzantine Christianity with its links to ancient Rome,
and the scholarly preoccupations of the region’s Jewish communities —
these are scarcely noticed, minimized or ignored. The main point made
about one of the few non-Muslim figures mentioned — Musa ibn Maymun
(better known as the 12th-century Jewish physician and philosopher
Maimonides) — is that his work demonstrated the influence of “Muslim
colleagues” and drew on “Muslim philosophy.”

The show’s mission, we are explicitly told, is to “promote” Muslim
heritage internationally and to strengthen Muslim identity and pride.
Nearly a million people are said to have seen it in London and
Istanbul and in smaller touring shows. The avidity of the acclaim is
embarrassing: a version was shown at the United Nations and in the
British Parliament. Classrooms in Britain have embraced its
curriculum materials. Yet much of it is politically motivated
exaggeration.

So both these identity exhibitions sacrifice the complications of
history for the sake of identity. But consider: both of these
presentations also end up neglecting the very forces that ultimately
shaped revolutions in thought and practice.

In the upstairs world of Washington and Adams, so blatantly ignored
in the Philadelphia site, was the beginning of a national experiment:
the faltering and difficult task of shaping a new society in which
equality and liberty would indeed become governing principles,
ultimately weakening the institution of slavery.

And in the Golden Age of Islam, however we define it, the culture of
learning was controlled by the mosques. As the fascinating book “The
Rise of Early Modern Science,” by Toby E. Huff, suggests, this may
have actually limited scientific research and its transmission. More
important than Muslim control may have been the spirit of dissent
evident in the words of some major figures, the free-thinking
challenges that made scientific inquiry possible, the mixing of
cultural currents that tested varying perspectives.

And those were the forces that ultimately led to the Western
Enlightenment, with its more universalist claims and its recognition
of slavery’s evils, and to a Golden Age that may still be going on.
The Enlightenment had its limitations, of course. But it also shaped
the great museums of the West. And many identity museums have yet to
absorb that more transcendent vision.