[Hac-announce] Discussion of Historical Texts

phungis at comcast.net phungis at comcast.net
Wed Dec 1 22:05:35 EST 2010

Some among the CT Humanists might be interested in a discussion I will be coordinating on Sunday January 9th at 12:45 at 700 Hartford Turnpike in Hamden (USNH).

Cosmologies of The Choir Invisible

Join P.J. Deak on January 9 th to discuss the writings of four historic Unitarians and Universalists – Joseph Priestly, Theodore Parker, Samuel Joseph May and P.T. Barnum – and their relationship to contemporary UU & Humanist beliefs. No experience or expertise necessary. Bring your own opinions, assumptions, understandings and questions for a rousing discourse on the past and present of liberal cosmology.

Excerpts from the following texts will be used to spark discussion:

Disquisitions Relating to Matter and Spirit by Joseph Priestly (1778)

The Transient and The Permanent in Christianity by Theodore Parker (1841)

What Do Unitarians Believe ? by Samuel Joseph May (1867)

Why I Am A Universalist by Phineas Taylor Barnum (1896)

Excerpts from the texts are available for free in PDF form at:

http://diggingupthefoundation.home.comcast.net/lecturespdfs/CosmologiesOfTheChoirInvisible.pdf