[Hac-announce] Upcoming Events - Humanist Association of Connecticut

Richard Siddall richard.siddall at elirion.net
Fri Oct 9 15:18:53 EDT 2009

Hello everyone,

(You're receiving this email because you subscribed to the announcements
list operated by the Humanist Association of Connecticut.  See
http://www.cthumanist.org/lists.html)

This Saturday, October 10th, at 2:30 PM, our Humanist Conversations
group will meet at USNH, 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden.  For this months
meeting, we'll watch and discuss the PBS documentary "Arguing the
World," which describes the liberal origins of neo-conservative Irving
Kristol and several of his contemporaries.

Our monthly meeting on Monday, October 19th will start a half an hour
earlier than usual so that we can watch the film "Joe Gould's Secret,"
which features several great actors telling the story of New Yorker
reporter Joseph Mitchell's involvement with, and depiction of, the
eccentric Joe Gould over 22 years.  As usual, we'll meet at USNH, 700
Hartford Turnpike, Hamden, but this month our half-an-hour of coffee and
conversation will start at 7:00 PM, and we'll start the movie as soon as
possible after brief announcements at 7:30 PM.

The last meeting of our Bible Reading Group will be from 2:00 to 5:00 PM
on Saturday, October 24th at USNH, 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden.  We'll
start with an hour-long video from one of the recent PBS series on
biblical archeology, and discuss the last five chapters of our reference
guide by James L. Kugel from 3:00 to 5:00 PM.  If you've attended any of
the previous sessions, you won't want to miss your chance to discuss the
last chapter of Kugel, in which he tries to reconcile the evidence-based
approach of modern scholars with his own beliefs.

Our October board and standing committee meetings will be held at USNH,
700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden at 2:30 PM on Sunday, October 25th.

Our Hartford-area social dinner will be held on Tuesday, October 27th at
7:00 PM.  (This is a day earlier than listed in the September
newsletter.)  We'll be meeting at a new location, Imperial Caribbean
Restaurant, at 51 Shunpike Road, Cromwell.  The restaurant's web site is
at http://www.imperialcaribbeanrestaurant.com/, and their phone number
is (860) 613-0005.  This is a Haitian restaurant suggested by Dan B.,
and it features Jamaican and Creole dishes on the menu.  It's easy to
get to, just off the Rt. 9 junction with Rt. 372, and a short drive from
I-91.  It's a little hard to find once you reach the plaza at 51
Shunpike Road.  Imperial Caribbean is roughly at the middle of the
U-shaped array of stores north of the K-Mart.  If you're planning to
attend, please RSVP to Carol Stone via http://meetup.com/cthumanist, or
by email at editor at cthumanist.org, or by phone at (203) 264-8546.  RSVPs
help us estimate the size of the table the restaurant needs to set for
our party.

Directions to most locations of our meetings are on the web site at
http://www.cthumanist.org/directions.html

Regards,

         Richard Siddall
         webmaster at cthumanist.org