[Hac-announce] Upcoming Events - Humanist Association of Connecticut

Richard Siddall richard.siddall at elirion.net
Fri Nov 6 18:19:28 EST 2009

Hello everyone,

(You're receiving this email because you subscribed to the announcements
list operated by the Humanist Association of Connecticut.  See
http://www.cthumanist.org/lists.html)

This Saturday, November 7th, at our Humanist Conversations meeting at
2:30 PM in the library at USNH, 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden, we will
view and discuss the movie, Capitalism Hits the Fan. In this movie,
University of Massachusetts professor of economics Richard Wolff
presents a historical background for the current financial crisis and
proposes structural change to our economic system as a remedy.

The following Saturday, November 14th, David Schafer will lead the first
in a new series of programs, "The Bible from the Standpoint of
Scientific and Historical Analysis," following on from our Bible Reading
Group.  We'll meet in the library at USNH, 700 Hartford Turnpike,
Hamden, at 2:30 PM.

The featured speaker at our monthly meeting on Monday, November 16th at
USNH, 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden, will be public health blogger
(http://healthvsmedicine.blogspot.com/) and Assistant Professor at Tufts
Medical Center and Tufts University School of Medicine, M. Barton Laws,
Ph.D., whose program is entitled "National Health Care Reform:
Reconciling Justice And Liberty."  We'll start with coffee and
conversation at 7:30 PM, and the talk will follow brief announcements at
8:00 PM.

Our Hartford-area social dinner will again be at Imperial Caribbean
Restaurant (http://www.imperialcaribbeanrestaurant.com/), 51 Shun pike
Rd., Cromwell, at 7:00 PM on Thursday, November 19th.  The restaurant is
next to a pet store (with a much brighter sign) in the plaza containing
the Cromwell K-Mart.  Please RSVP to Carol Stone via meetup.com
(http://www.meetup.com/cthumanist/), by email at editor at cthumanist.org,
or by phone at (203) 264-8546.

Our next book discussion, on "Founding Faith: Providence, Politics, and
the Birth of Religious Freedom in America," by Steven Waldman, will be
at 2:30 PM on Saturday, November 21st at USNH, 700 Hartford Turnpike,
Hamden.  (The paperback edition has a different subtitle, but it is the
same material.)  We'll start with a potluck dinner (please bring a dish
to share) at 2:30 PM, and the discussion itself will start at 3:30 PM.

Our board and standing committee meetings will be at 2:30 PM on Sunday,
November 22nd at USNH, 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden.

Directions to most locations of our meetings are on the web site at
http://www.cthumanist.org/directions.html

Regards,

         Richard Siddall
         webmaster at cthumanist.org