[Hac-announce] Upcoming Events - Humanist Association of Connecticut

Richard Siddall richard.siddall at elirion.net
Fri Jul 31 21:29:13 EDT 2009

Hello everyone,

(You're receiving this email because you subscribed to the announcements
list operated by the Humanist Association of Connecticut.  See
http://www.cthumanist.org/lists.html)

Our Humanist Conversations meeting is this Saturday, August 1st, at
USNH, 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden, at 2:30 PM.  We will watch and
discuss the June 12, 2009, episode of Bill Moyers Journal, in which
former Labor Secretary Robert Reich sits down with Bill Moyers to talk
about the influence of lobbyists on policy, the economy, and the ongoing
debate over health care.

Our first social dinner of the month will be at Turkish Kebab House,
1157 Campbell Ave., West Haven, at 7:00 PM on Monday, August 3rd.
Please RSVP to Carol Stone (via http://meetup.com/cthumanist, or by
email at editor at cthumanist.org, or by phone at (203) 264-8546) if you
plan to attend.

Our next Bible Discussion group meeting will be on Sunday, August 9th,
at USNH, 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden.  We'll start with an hour long
video at 2:00 PM.  From 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM we'll discuss the video and
the assigned reading for this session.

We'll be discussing the second half of Jennifer Michael Hecht's "Doubt:
A History: The Great Doubters and Their Legacy of Innovation from
Socrates and Jesus to Thomas Jefferson and Emily Dickinson" on Saturday,
August 15th from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM.  This meeting will be held at USNH,
700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden.

At our monthly meeting on Monday, August 17th, at USNH, 700 Hartford
Turnpike, Hamden, Dr. David Schafer will talk about "The Missing Years
in the Evolution of Humanism," the period between the Enlightenment and
the first Humanist Manifesto.  We'll start with the customary half hour
of coffee and conversation at 7:30 PM, and David's talk will follow
brief announcements at 8:00 PM.

Our August board and standing committee meetings will be held at USNH,
700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden at 2:30 PM on Sunday, August 23rd.

On Wednesday, August 26th we will be holding our second social dinner of
the month, this time at Szechuan Tokyo, 1245 New Britain Ave., West
Hartford.  (RSVPs for the dinner are appreciated as it helps us let the
restaurant know how large a table we'll need for our group.  RSVP
details are the same as for the New Haven area dinner on August 3rd.)

Directions to most locations of our meetings are on the web site at
http://www.cthumanist.org/directions.html

Regards,

         Richard Siddall
         webmaster at cthumanist.org