[Hac-announce] RESCHEDULED: What: Sumerian Texts And The Book Of Genesis

Carol Stone carol at carolstone.com
Sat Dec 19 10:29:54 EST 2009

Hello everyone,

(You're receiving this email because you subscribed to the announcements
list operated by the Humanist Association of Connecticut.  See
http://www.cthumanist.org/lists.html)

The event originally scheduled for today has been rescheduled to January
23rd due to the possibility of the storm starting early. We hope to see
you then!

The second in our series of monthly discussions on "The Bible from the
Standpoint of Scientific and Historical Analysis," on Saturday, January
23, 3:00 - 5:00 PM, USNH Library, will be concerned with comparing the
Creation Story in the book of Genesis with the much older Sumerian myth
known as "Enuma Elish." We'll be taking a look at the history of
comparative studies of the texts, together with the role of major
archeological discoveries in the 19th and 20th centuries. Handouts will
be distributed.

We'll also watch more of the movie we watched in November!

Additional background reading is available on-line. Here are two
Wikipedia links:
Enuma Elish
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enuma_Elish
Austin Henry Layard
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Henry_Layard

Also, a fascinating story about Layard is found in Chapter 21, “Layard:
A Dilettante Outwits a Pasha,” in Gods, /Graves, and Scholars/, by C. W.
Ceram.
See the book on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AISN0394743199/humanistassoc-20
Look for the book in Connecticut Public Libraries
http://www.iconn.org/FindALibraryInConnecticut.aspx?cat=consortia

-carol stone