[Hac-announce] Upcoming Events - Humanist Association of Connecticut

Richard Siddall richard.siddall at elirion.net
Fri Dec 4 17:45:21 EST 2009

Hello everyone,

(You're receiving this email because you subscribed to the announcements
list operated by the Humanist Association of Connecticut.  See
http://www.cthumanist.org/lists.html)

In our November meeting, we said that the December "Humanist
Conversations" meeting would be this Saturday, December 5th.  That was
incorrect.  Since David & June Schafer are out of town at the December
meeting of the Humanist Institute, we postponed the meeting one week.

This coming Monday, December 7th, we'll meet at the Turkish Kebab House,
1157 Campbell Ave., West Haven, for our last New Haven-area social
dinner of the year.  This will also be our last meal at this restaurant
for a while.  As usual, we'll meet in the restaurant at 7:00 PM.  If
you're planning to attend, please RSVP to Carol Stone via Meetup.com at
http://meetup.com/cthumanist, or by email to editor at cthumanist.org, or
by phone at (203) 264-8546.  (RSVPs help us let the restaurant know how
large a table our party will need.)

The December "Humanist Conversations" meeting will be on Saturday,
December 12th at 2:30 PM in the library at USNH, 700 Hartford Turnpike,
Hamden.  We'll watch and discuss the 1950 movie "Trio", a compilation of
three of W. Somerset Maugham's short stories, including an introduction
by the author himself.  The film is itself part of a trilogy of movies
based on works by Maugham.

On Saturday, December 19th, David Schafer will lead the second in our
series of monthly discussions on "The Bible from the Standpoint of
Scientific and Historical Analysis," from 3 to 5 PM in the library at
USNH, 700 Hartford Turnpike.  During this session we will be comparing
the Creation Story in the book of Genesis with the much older Sumerian
myth known as "Enuma Elish."

Our Annual Meeting, elections, Solstice Party, and silent auction will
be held at USNH, 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden, on Monday, December
21st.  We'll start at 7:30 PM with a pot-luck dinner.  (Please bring a
dish to share.)  At 8:00 PM we'll hold a brief annual meeting and
election of officers for the 2010 calendar year.  (The slate of officers
is in the December newsletter.)  Following the elections, our Solstice
party will begin, and will feature a silent auction, and a brief talk by
P.J. Deak entitled "Observations of Hope: Charles Dickens in America, 1842."

Our Hartford-area social dinner for December will be replaced by our
last activity of 2009, our annual brunch at 12 noon on Friday, December
25th.  This year we'll return to the Pacific Buffet & Grill, 20 Ives
Road, Wallingford.  Please RSVP using the contact details above.

Directions to most locations of our meetings are on the web site at
http://www.cthumanist.org/directions.html

Regards,

         Richard Siddall
         webmaster at cthumanist.org