[Hac-announce] February 2024 HAC Book Discussion: "Invisible Man" by Ralph Ellison

kvngough at aol.com kvngough at aol.com
Fri Jan 26 11:10:31 EST 2024

 Our book for February, Black History Month, is the classic Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. The discussion will take place on Saturday, February 24 at 2:30 pm at the Wilson Branch of the New Haven Free Public Library, located at 303 Washington Ave., New Haven.

Note: This discussion will be on the 4th Saturday of the month due to the Presidents' Day weekend closure of the library.

>From Wikipedia:Invisible Man is Ralph Ellison's first novel, published…in 1952. It addresses many of the social and intellectual issues faced by African Americans in the early 20th century, including Black Nationalism, the relationship between black identity and Marxism, and the reformist racial policies of Booker T. Washington, as well as issues of individuality and personal identity.
Invisible Man won the U.S. National Book Award for Fiction in 1953, making Ellison the first African-American writer to win the award. In 1998, the Modern Library ranked Invisible Man 19th on its list of the 100 best English-language novels of the 20th century.
"A book of the very first order, a superb book ...it is tragicomic, poetic, the tone of the very strongest sort of creative intelligence." – Nobel Prize-winning author Saul Bellow
Hope to see you on the 24th,Kevin & Paula