[Hac-announce] March 2024 HAC Book Discussion: "Humanly Possible" by Sarah Blakewell

kvngough at aol.com kvngough at aol.com
Mon Feb 26 17:56:10 EST 2024

 Our book for March is Humanly Possible: Seven Hundred Years of Humanist Freethinking, Inquiry, and Hope, a history of humanism in all its permutations, by Sarah Blakewell. The discussion will take place on Saturday, March 16 at 2:30 pm at the Wilson Branch of the New Haven Free Public Library, located at 303 Washington Ave., New Haven.

>From Amazon:
Voyaging from the literary enthusiasts of the fourteenth century to the secular campaigners of our own time,... Bakewell brings together extraordinary humanists across history. She explores their immense variety: some sought to promote scientific and rationalist ideas, others put more emphasis on moral living, and still others were concerned with the cultural and literary studies known as “the humanities.” Humanly Possible asks not only what brings all these aspects of humanism together but why it has such enduring power, despite opposition from fanatics, mystics, and tyrants.
[A]t a moment when we are all too conscious of the world’s divisions, Humanly Possible – brimming with ideas, experiments in living, and respect for the deepest ethical values – serves as a re-centering, a call to care for one another, and a reminder that we are all, together, only human.
“Engagingly written as well as richly informative . . . every thinker, every book, every movement is located lightly and precisely in relation to its past and its influence on the present day. I can’t imagine a better history of humanism, nor one that is so vividly persuasive.” – Philip Pullman, author His Dark Materials trilogy
Hope to see you on the 16th,
Kevin & Paula