[Hac-announce] October 2023 Book Discussion: "Sickening" by Dr. John Abramson

kvngough at aol.com kvngough at aol.com
Wed Sep 27 12:25:57 EDT 2023

 Our October 2023 book is Sickening: How Big Pharma Broke American Health Care and How We Can Repair It by John Abramson, MD, MSc. The discussion will take place Saturday, Oct. 21, 2023 at 2:30 pm at the Wilson Branch of the New Haven Free Library, 303 Washington Ave., New Haven. I am pleased to note that our friend John Cappadona, M.D., a retired general practitioner and activist for medical reform, will be moderating the discussion.

>From Amazon:
The United States spends an excess $1.5 trillion annually on health care compared to other wealthy countries – yet the amount of time that Americans live in good health ranks a lowly 68th in the world. At the heart of the problem is Big Pharma, which funds most clinical trials and therefore controls the research agenda, withholds the real data from those trials as corporate secrets, and shapes most of the information relied upon by health care professionals.
In this no-holds-barred exposé, Dr. John Abramson combines patient stories with what he learned during many years of serving as an expert in national drug litigation to reveal the tangled web of financial interests at the heart of the dysfunction in our health-care system…Sickening shines a light on the dark underbelly of American health care – and presents a path toward genuine reform.
"A crash course in the profit-driven systems built by Big Pharma that dominate the U.S. health care industry and how they can cause undue suffering.... Sickening is written in tempered language backed up by hard data and historical examples to illustrate Big Pharma’s enrichment strategies." – Undark Magazine

Hope to see you on the 21st,
Kevin (& Paula)