[Hac-announce] December 2023 Book Discussion: "Accidental Gods" by Anna Della Subin

kvngough at aol.com kvngough at aol.com
Tue Nov 28 15:40:26 EST 2023

 Our December 2023 book is Accidental Gods: On Men Unwittingly Turned Divine by Anna Della Subin. The discussion will take place Saturday, Dec. 16, 2023 at 2:30 pm at the Wilson Branch of the New Haven Free Library, 303 Washington Ave., New Haven.

>From Amazon:A provocative history of men who were worshipped as gods that illuminates the connection between power and religion and the role of divinity in a secular age
In a revelatory history spanning five centuries, a cast of surprising deities helps to shed light on the thorny questions of how our modern concept of “religion” was invented; why religion and politics are perpetually entangled in our supposedly secular age; and how the power to call someone divine has been used and abused by both oppressors and the oppressed.*
“Subin doesn't cover QAnon or January 6, but reading her account of the global and historical power of the irrational, I became more and more convinced I might be reading the year's most relevant book about American politics.” – Tom Scocca, Air Mail

Hope to see you on the 16th,
Kevin (& Paula)