[Hac-announce] West Point Cadets Coming To Yale Humanist March 4th Event

Rebecca Williams rebecca.humanist at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 19:57:03 EST 2018

West Point’s Office in Charge of the Secular Student Alliance is bringing 7
cadets to Yale Humanist's March 4th event. The intention is to “introduce
West Point cadets to a secular-humanist world outside of West Point”.  YHC's
Executive Director will be doing special outreach to Yale students as well.
Please consider attending.

Event Details:  Join a discussion with Shayn Williams-Burris about the
SMART recovery movement.  Event title: "How to skip all 12 steps and still
recover from addiction".

Event Speaker information: Shayn Williams-Burris was raised in an
evangelical family in Oklahoma, but even as a kid they tended to question
everything and always gravitated toward the scientific rather than
religious. Shayn moved to California for undergrad and completed their BA
in Neuroscience in 2009 from Claremont McKenna College, then went on to
earn their PhD in Neuroscience in 2016 from UCLA where their research
focused on understanding a genetic disorder called Klinefelter syndrome.
They moved to New Haven in August of 2017. Even before moving to
Connecticut, but especially since, Shayn has become highly involved in
SMART Recovery. Shayn currently facilitates one standard meeting each week
at The Grove on Wednesday nights that is hosted by Yale Humanist Community,
as well as a Teen SMART Recovery meeting on Monday nights at the Children's
Center of Hamden. Shayn also helps advertise the SMART Recovery meetings
across the state on www.smartrecoveryct.org and especially on twitter
@SMARTRecoveryCT.

RSVP at
https://www.meetup.com/Yale-and-New-Haven-Humanist-Community/events/247969212/
.  If you are not on Meetup, let me know I will RSVP for you.

Thanks!

*Rebecca Williams*

*(203) 900-4221*

Vice President, Hartford Area Humanist www.hartfordhumanist.org
<http://www.hartfordhumanist.org/about>

<http://www.hartfordhumanist.org/about>

Treasurer, The Humanist Association of Connecticut www.cthumanist.org

<http://www.hartfordhumanist.org/about>

Secretary, Connecticut Coalition of Reason ctcor.org

*Humanism is a progressive lifestance that, without supernaturalism,
affirms our ability and responsibility to lead meaningful, ethical lives
capable of adding to the greater good of humanity. • American Humanist
Association <http://americanhumanist.org/>*