[Hac-announce] Dinner Speaker Series Resumes on Tuesday: The Pardons Project

Dan Blinn danblinn at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 08:35:36 EST 2013

The Hartford-Area Dinner Speaker Series has been on a hiatus for several
months as we looked for a new restaurant that could accommodate us.  We are
pleased to announce that the series resumes this Tuesday, January 29,
at theWood-n-Tap
<http://www.woodntap.com/locations/rocky-hill/>restaurant, 112 Town Line Rd
in Rocky Hill (right off Exit 24).  This restaurant has a great
menu<http://www.woodntap.com/menus/main-menu/> with
reasonable prices, and it has an ideal private room.

Our Speaker will be Jane Kinney-Knotek, Associate Executive Director of
Statewide Legal Services of Connecticut.  She will be discussion The
Pardons Project. Even after someone has served their full sentence after
conviction of a crime, he or she may face many barriers to reintegrating
into society as a result of a criminal record. These barriers may make it
difficult for someone to find employment, housing, apply for benefits, or
obtain a license or permit. Connecticut’s pardons system provides the
opportunity for individuals with criminal convictions to show that they
have been rehabilitated, to fully discharge their debt to society, and to
obtain some relief from legal barriers to productive citizenship. Jane will
tell us about the pardon process in Connecticut and the Pardons Project's
efforts to assist low-income clients obtain a fresh start. The dinner will
be on Tuesday, Jan. 29 at the Wood-n-Tap restaurant, 112 Town Line Rd in
Rocky Hill (near Exit 24). Drinks and socializing at 6:30, Dinner and
speaker at 7:00 pm.

We are on "probation' with the Wood-n-Tap, as they want to see how this
month goes before they commit to us on a regular basis.  So, we are hoping
for a good turnout, and I hope to see many of you there on Tuesday.  Please
RSVP on Meetup <http://www.meetup.com/cthumanist/events/96571192/>.

http://www.meetup.com/cthumanist/events/96571192/.